News:

23/10/2011 salutiamo un grande amico, che rimarrà sempre con noi! Ciao Marco... 58 forever.

Menu principale

Gilera Bi4 Nordwest 3d scanning/modelling

Aperto da Duranti, 13 Giugno 2018, 19:14:10

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Duranti

Here is a short clip of a project I am doing; converting a Bi4 engine to 3d geometry (for another project)  :smiley:
The engine is only partially scanned, all parts will eventually be scanned / 3d modelled.  :smiley:

Gatto Silvestro53

Un 50ino non diventa perfetto quando non hai altro da aggiungere, ma solo quando non hai più niente da togliere ...
(Libero adattamento da Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

milo

Matte

Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

Duranti

I am not doing a reverse engineeering, but rather an accurate external representation of the Bi4, for designing a frame/surrounding equipment, in a 3d environment  :smiley:

lucakilm

siplitaro

meglio 1 giorno su una Gilera che 100 sotto.....

Duranti

It is truly sad how people only think of 3d scanning as a Chinese invention/activity, it's not.

All major motorcycle/car/aeroplane manufacturers (and so many other industries) around the world use 3d scanning technology to inspect machined parts/castings, digitize handmade prototypes, inspect wear-rates/tribology results, surface analysis, crash analysis and so on.

I've seen Chinese produced parts using brands of major motorcycle manufacturers (including Gilera), without permission/licenses, and it makes me sick to think that parts like that could end up on one of my bikes in the future without me knowing it's an inferior Chinese ripoff, no thank you!

Back to the point; 3d scanning is not a bad thing, in the right hands!

siplitaro

If you are referring to the emoticon is not about China but the sign of thanks for your video .... To have you among us  :up:

Duranti

I deeply love Gilera, and I really enjoy 3d scanning/cad work, and now my passion gets me into trouble again, I'm sorry about that!
The emoticon should definitely be renamed to something more appropriate  :smiley:
  :ita

siplitaro

Duranti

For anyone interested; a few pictures from the process, I am using a Nextengine HD scanner with ProScan extension software, as well as complimentary manual measurements of critical dimensions.
For plastic and painted parts I use Talcum powder to make it easier for the scanner to capture reflecting surfaces, hence the dull milky surface of the cylinder and cambelt cover.  :smiley:

bigbore

nice scanning rig duranti! I wish I could have one.
I can fully appreciate your work since back in the 90ies I was doing 3D animations with softimage and SGI workstations.

"Ecci alcuni che altro che transito di cibo e aumentatori di sterco chiamar si debbono, perché per loro alcuna virtù in opere si mette; perché di loro altro che pieni e destri non resta".

Duranti

Hi bigbore!
Thank you for your kind comment, much appreciated sir  :smiley:
For this purpose the Nextengine is very good, one of the best value for money scanners before going into industrial/specialty scanners, I have alot of fun with it!
I can imagine that it must have been very interesting to work with Softimage/SGI workstations, high end software/hardware, I have always been very impressed by 3d graphics/animation artists, it takes alot of skill and talent to do work like that!  :smiley:

Matte

Duranti, may I ask you how much does it cost a scanner like your? It's a really interesting item...... [banana]

Ah, another question, how much time needs the scanner to "copy" the part (obviously it depends also from the part)?
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125