News:

17/02/2013 Viene pubblicato l'elenco delle moto di interesse storico FMI. Sono presenti tutte le moto con motore BI4 Gilera

Menu principale

Gilera Bi4 Nordwest 3d scanning/modelling

Aperto da Duranti, 13 Giugno 2018, 19:14:10

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Duranti

Good evening Matte,
My version of Nextengine, the now older, HD version, you can get them around Europe for maybe around 1200-1500 Euro used. I bought mine used for around 2500 Euro in Norway, but it included additional software/hardware.
The new version "Ultra HD", costs 3000 dollars new, and 1000 dollars for the ProScan extension software, this software allows you to scan bigger objects without having the make multiple scans and align them manually, very handy for motorcycle related objects.
Generally the HD version is more than sufficient for most jobs (together with ProScan), especially when supplement the scan with manual micrometer/vernier/height caliper measurements of critical areas.
The big different between HD and Ultra HD is the density of the polygons in the mesh (and ultimately accuracy), but it all depends on the use. A very dense mesh will require a very strong computer, and is not required unless you need micro detailing.
If you were to scan general motorcycle parts, the HD version will give superb results  :smiley:

Duranti

Matte, I only saw now that there was a second part of the question, sorry! :smiley:

The time to scan a part like the cylinder would be approximately 30 minutes for a complete scan from all sides to make a watertight external surface.

I asked a company in Norway, a couple of years ago, how much it would cost to make a scan of the Bi4 engine, and they came back with a price of approximately 2500 Euro, crazy!

Matte

Duranti, thanks a lot for your double, and complete, answer :smiley:
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

lucakilm

Thanks a lot for sharing, very interesting! I suppose that this scans you do are then usable to reproduce on a 3D printer! There are some parts that are almost impossible to found so it would be very nice to have them and produce some spare parts, thinking for example ad eye of the chain (CRUNA) or scroll chain.... Not sure though if it's worth it in terms of costs.  :beer:

Duranti

Hi lucakilm,
Thanks for you kind words, I appreciate it!

A chain slider would be quite easy, and cheap, to produce in small numbers.
I would approach a project like that in the following way:
1. 3d scan (or manually measure) the chain slider.
2. Reverse engineer the slider in a 3d cad software (for example Autodesk Fusion or Onshape, which is around 300 Euro per year) to get the best results.
3. 3d print a negative mold in Polypropylene, or another material that has a higher temperature resistance than the curing temperature of the material to be poured into the mold.
4. Spray anti-adhesion spray into mold before pouring the liquid material (85 shore Urethane for example) into the mold.

For very smooth mold surfaces it is possible to "acetone mist" the mold, it will give excellent surfaces, but it's hazardous and it stinks!  :smiley:

Another way would be to place the chain slider in a water tight box, spray the part and mould with anti-adhesion spray, pour the liquid material into the box, and de-mold after curing is finished, that way you will get a negative mold. Just make sure to check curing temperature for the liquid material, it could cure/solidify at a higher temperature than the mold can handle, causing distortion in the mold. This way requires no 3d scanner or 3d software :smiley:

Duranti

Also lucakilm, yes definitely, any "watertight" (or fully closed mesh) 3d scan can in principle be 3d printed  :smiley:

lucakilm

Duranti

Duranti

A few pictures of the scanned cylinder alongside the cad model. Internal geometry of the cylinder is not included, for my project it's only the external geometry that is useful.  :smiley:

Duranti

The valve inspection cover; the scan was quite coarse just to use as a visual aid, all measuring was done using a vernier caliper.

Duranti

The beautiful alternator cover  :smiley:
The cover is surpisingly complex with features that are not obvious to the eye, also I appreciate more the details in relation to the casting process, there is almost not a single flat surface  :smiley:

bigbore

great, really great work duranti  :ok:

I'm eager to get a complete 3D model of a Bi4 engine for the sole pourpose of......... no!, I'm not gonna tell it  :-X
"Ecci alcuni che altro che transito di cibo e aumentatori di sterco chiamar si debbono, perché per loro alcuna virtù in opere si mette; perché di loro altro che pieni e destri non resta".

Duranti

Thank you very much for you kind comment bigbore, I appreciate it!  :beer:
I will tell you all about what the 3d model will be used for after I have scanned and 3d modelled all the parts  :smiley:
During the process I will post picture updates of all the finished 3d models/scanned parts comparions, and at the end I will make a nice presentation of the complete engine.  :smiley:

Matte

You are working really good, bravo....
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

Duranti

Thank you Matte, I appreciate it!  :beer:
For now it's the basic geometry that is modelled, I will be refining the models when everything is scanned/modelled, it will be more accurate in details for the final result  :smiley:

It is a pleasure to scan/model one of the finest engines ever produced, I love the Bi4, it is a masterpiece!  :ita