News:

17/02/2013 Viene pubblicato l'elenco delle moto di interesse storico FMI. Sono presenti tutte le moto con motore BI4 Gilera

Menu principale

Gilera Bi4 Nordwest 3d scanning/modelling

Aperto da Duranti, 13 Giugno 2018, 19:14:10

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

33new

Great job Duranti, you are one of us! You aren't a simply gilerista, but  you are a really gil-erotic! Do you understand?

:nopanic:   :ballo:  :moto

Duranti

Good evening 33new, thank you for your excellent comment, I really appreciate it!

Yes, our love for the Bi4 is genuine, I have been a big Gilera fan (especially all Gilera Rally, and Bimota GB1) since 1989, and consider myself crazy about Gilera!   :beer:

Duranti

Latest updates on the Bi4 engine scanning/modelling!  :moto
The left hand crankcase cover is full of details, I am very impressed by how clean the cover looks despite of all the details, drafts, fillets and so on, and I have only tried to replicate just the outside surfaces!

bigbore

"Ecci alcuni che altro che transito di cibo e aumentatori di sterco chiamar si debbono, perché per loro alcuna virtù in opere si mette; perché di loro altro che pieni e destri non resta".

Matte

Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

Duranti

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated!
I have some experience with steel castings, but the Bi4 parts are more complex than I initially expected, and also the esthetics of these castings is magnificent!
I get the feeling that there is both work by machine, as well as hand, to complete the molds to created the castings, absolutely wonderful engineering, it is easy to see that there is alot of passionate work put into the Bi4!  :smiley:

Duranti

Another update; the iconic cambelt cover!  :smiley:

Duranti

Just wondering; does anyone know which font is used for the Bi4 text on the cambelt cover, I can't seem to find it anywhere?  :smiley:

Matte

I don't know if it's simple to find this information, I hope someone can help you.
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

bigbore

uhmmm... could be a slightly modified original font.

Gilera font has change during the years, let's say that until late 80' the font was "clarendon serial  heavy"
later, appearance changed slightly.

A font can be downloaded from the other gilera fan forum: http://www.motoclubgilera4t.it/forum/index.php?topic=2043.0 but i don't know wich one it is.

othervise give it a try to this: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator
"Ecci alcuni che altro che transito di cibo e aumentatori di sterco chiamar si debbono, perché per loro alcuna virtù in opere si mette; perché di loro altro che pieni e destri non resta".

Duranti

Thank you Matte and bigbore for your help, it is much appreciated!  :beer:

The original Bi4 logo seems almost like custom letters specifically made for this logo, I will try to run it through the matcherator and hopefully find the right font, thanks again!!

bigbore

chances are that the mold was modified by hand later.
I'm not sure (can't check right now) but my belt cover don't have that logo

Duranti

Thank you for the interesting post bigbore :smiley:
If I remember correctly the covers came in natural black, painted grey/silver, as well as the split cover for the Saturno, but I was not aware that there were covers without the text, nice, I will have to do more research on that, thanks  :beer:
Also, I have decided to trace the text for the Bi4 logo since I am unable to find the correct font, but it should be easy to make.

bigbore

I've checked both beltcover in my possession, non logo Bi-4 on it.
Let's see what other Bi-4 owners have to say about this matter.

Hei ragazzi, ve lo dico in italiano così non avete scuse: il carter copricinghia del vostro Bi-4 ha per caso impresso la scritta Bi-4?

indicate moto e versione motore please

Duranti

Thank you for your effort bigbore, I appreciate it, and I look forward to seeing what people say about this!  :beer:

I traced the logo, and made a cad version, there are some small deviations, mainly due to the small size of the letters (and slight prespective of the picture), the letters are approximately 14mm tall, however it's beautiful how the machining details are captured in the pressure cast plastic!  :smiley: