News:

15/02/2013 A Novegro riappare il BI4 con alcune moto ed uno spaccato del motore nello stand della FMI.

Menu principale

Gilera Bi4 Nordwest 3d scanning/modelling

Aperto da Duranti, 13 Giugno 2018, 19:14:10

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

siplitaro

if I can do a Nordwest 1:10 we'll go around the house.... :jump:
meglio 1 giorno su una Gilera che 100 sotto.....

Duranti

Hi siplitaro,

It would definitely be possible to do a 1:10 Nordwest (especially with the reduced detail level required), but it would take a lot of time!  :smiley:

Here is a project I did some years ago when I had full access to more advanced software, I wanted to create a 100+ hp motocross bike (a long term dream), and I wanted to use a very common engine, the Yamaha FZ6, and with chassis parts from a Honda XR650R, and this is how far I came before I ran out of time, money and ultimately interest.
It would have been a really fun bike to ride, with lots of power, and very cheap to run and maintain.  :smiley:
But it took a lot of time and effort to scan and model engine/parts, and design the missing components, FEA analysis, dynamic simulations, a big project, especially for a single person.
I am now only doing projects that I know I am able to finish, haha!

Almost anything is possible if you are 100% dedicated, and willing to spend alot of time on it.  :smiley:

PS: I'm working hard on the Bi4 crankcase!

siplitaro

I was joking, for me it is a pleasure that you dedicate to bi-4, congratulations for your work   :jump:
meglio 1 giorno su una Gilera che 100 sotto.....

Duranti

Thank you for your support siplitaro!
The Bi4 is one of the most beautiful engines ever made, and it's worth every minute of working effort to put this 3D model together  :smiley:

A 1:10 Nordwest would be very cool though!   :wink:

Matte

Duranti, you are really powerful with those software's, congratulations (I had my little satisfactions with proengineering a long time ago, at the university). You are a temptation for me to start again using it....... :fuma: [CFASD] :moto
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

Duranti

Thank you for your kind comments Matte, I appreciate it!

Doing engineering work has been my job the last 17 years (and workshop duty before that), and it's also been a big interest of mine to do personal projects in cad.
The big difference now, relative to when I started with cad, is how accesible technology has become, with very powerful cad software (online/could based licenses) available for anyone at a fraction of the price of just 10 years ago, and very simple online machining services (like Protolabs/Firstcut), as well as cheap and powerful 3D printers.
There are so many motorcycle related projects are now possible to realize even for hobby enthusiasts!  :smiley:

Matte; you should definitely get back into cad, there are great online cad software like Autodesk Fusion or Onshape that are cheap and very powerful. Combine that with an online machining service, and you have the possibility to do amazing things on even a tight budget (like mine)!  :up:

Duranti

It's been a while since I last posted in this thread, due to focus on other things for a while now, but now the carter is modelled, and it turned out pretty good.
Modelling these carters have been a real challenge, primarilly due to locating the interfacing parts as accurately as possible to get as close to the original geometry as possible without using a CMM system. Also all the drafts/angles required to release properly from the die, as well as getting all the transitions between geometries as good as possible, has been a real challenge!

Thankfully I was able to extract the interfaces from the different parts interfacing with the carter, and use those geometries to help create the features that make up the carter. Of course there are differences in the interfaces between part and carter, for various reasons, most likely related to manufacturability, but I've managed to capture the details to a high level.

Wow, the engineering and manufacturing skills of the people involved in designing and producing these parts are amazing, I am so impressed (and I have only tried to replicate the external geometry)!

Now I am searching for the small parts that make up the rest of the external geometry of the engine, hopefully they will arrive in the post soon, and I will be posting details as soon as I am finished with them!  :smiley:

Sorry for the longevity of this project, but either way; stay tuned!  :moto

pegaso_grigio

A volte la "macchina" del tempo.... è soltanto una moto

La cura per ogni cosa è l'acqua salata!  Il sudore, le lacrime o il mare.

A piedi cammino, con l' auto viaggio, con la moto sogno.

Duranti

Thank you pegaso_grigio, I'm glad you enjoy my work!  :smiley:

yumax

Citazione di: pegaso_grigio il 15 Agosto 2018, 11:33:06
Wow really good work  :clap: :clap:

he is not alone, even I am really fascinated by your work :ok:

Duranti

Thank you yumax, I appreciate you kind comment!  :smiley:
My goal for this model is to make it as accurate as possible with the hardware/software I have at my disposal, I consider it an honour to model the iconic Bi4!

Matte

Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

Duranti

Thank you Matte for your inpiring comment, very much appreciated!   :beer:

I will soon post some pictures of the main assembly with nuts and bolts, and rendered, should be interesting to see.  :smiley:

Duranti

I experiemented a little bit with some rendering, it's far from great, and the materials/paints are not correct, but it's starting to look good  :smiley:

I will start 3D printing these parts (in 1:3 or 1:4 scale) soon, it will be fun to see them coming together!

lucakilm

Hi Duranti, great job!!

As you may be aware the most common problem encountered by Bi4 possessors, are those blody intakes, the ones going from the engine head to the carbs.
They are definitely impossible to found and of course they cause a lot of problems.

Do you think it would be feasible to scan both types?  better to scan them by stripping of the rubber or to leave it on?

I could then send the scans to a company (siliconehose-china.com perhaps) and ask for a quote for reproduction. I think it would be great to have them new!

What do you think?