News:

17/02/2013 Viene pubblicato l'elenco delle moto di interesse storico FMI. Sono presenti tutte le moto con motore BI4 Gilera

Menu principale

Fuel mixture gilera dakota 350

Aperto da nicuwww4, 13 Ottobre 2019, 15:25:44

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

nicuwww4

Hello i have a problem with my dakota 350.....i cant dial in the fuel mixture on my carbs (PHBL25 ds DELLORTO),the bike is running rich and stalls at quick throttle inputs and its smoking a bit and the revs fluctuate a bit there not steady and its only revving up to 8000 then start to sound like misfire.....any help in much appreciated.
(im new to this forum and i dont speak italian so if this problem was discuss somewhere else on this forum please send me there  :smiley: )

Matte

Hi, welcome onboard, you need to dismount the carbs, disassemble them and cleaning all the parts with ultrasonic machine. Check all the components and change the ones that are not good.
Ciao
Paolo
Perché sono qui? Gilera KZ 125

nicuwww4

Hy i already did this 2 times once with brake cleaner and once with carb cleaner

Apelle

First of all, you should pass first through the Presentation Board... it would be appreciated if you'd go there and drop few lines about you.

Back to your point, your Dell'Orto, as the green dot says, is the Nordwest version, not the Dakota's one, therefore it may not work properly on the Dakota.
In fact, the bodies are exactly the same while the inner arrangement differs substantially.
I experienced this in the recent past, fitting a "green dot" on a 350ER with almost exactly the same problems you are reporting.

This is not, though, enough of a reason to state that your Dell'Orto can't work on your Dak.

If the symptoms are so blatant, I'm confident to say you need much more to improve your cleaning of the two bodies.
Brake and carb cleaners are jokes, especially now with green petrol, which leaves heavy and persistent deposits after long stops.

You really want to use ultrasonic cleansing, better if coupled with a preventive one night's soaking in acidified water and, after the cleaning, a compressed air test on all ducts.

All the above, of course, provided that all the rubber collectors (on both ends) are still properly functionig without leaks.
"dicono che quelli con gli occhi azzurri hanno la testa piena d'acqua... pensa quelli con gli occhi marroni"

nicuwww4

Citazione di: Apelle il 13 Ottobre 2019, 17:14:12
First of all, you should pass first through the Presentation Board... it would be appreciated if you'd go there and drop few lines about you.

Back to your point, your Dell'Orto, as the green dot says, is the Nordwest version, not the Dakota's one, therefore it may not work properly on the Dakota.
In fact, the bodies are exactly the same while the inner arrangement differs substantially.
I experienced this in the recent past, fitting a "green dot" on a 350ER with almost exactly the same problems you are reporting.

This is not, though, enough of a reason to state that your Dell'Orto can't work on your Dak.

If the symptoms are so blatant, I'm confident to say you need much more to improve your cleaning of the two bodies.
Brake and carb cleaners are jokes, especially now with green petrol, which leaves heavy and persistent deposits after long stops.

You really want to use ultrasonic cleansing, better if coupled with a preventive one night's soaking in acidified water and, after the cleaning, a compressed air test on all ducts.

All the above, of course, provided that all the rubber collectors (on both ends) are still properly functionig without leaks.

I will try to update my profile  :smiley:

And this thing about the green dot i didn't even know about....i do have a parts bike with a set of carbs (i will post some pictures with them) but there are in much worse condition but i don't think they ever got the taste of new gas because this parts bike was broken way before they start to put all the additives in gasoline.
You think this are the right carbs ?

Apelle

Yes, without the green dot it's more likely to be the right set.
And to be honest, they don't seem that bad.
Of course they need to be carefully chcecked inside for jamming and/or wear, you might want to buy a seal kit, you can try here:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=11001

At that site you can also follow the needles and the pump membrane.

But first of all you need to be 100% sure the all the ducts are clean and empty, and only the compressed air can help on that.
"dicono che quelli con gli occhi azzurri hanno la testa piena d'acqua... pensa quelli con gli occhi marroni"

nicuwww4

Well first I will do a test to see if there are any leaks at the rubber boots , a guy told me that the best test you can do is with a can of starter fluid just spray around the carb and the boots and if the revs come up you have a leak if the revs stay the same there are fine.
The only problem I se with this pair of carbs is on the main carb the small jet is broken and half drilled so that will be a pain in the ass to get out  >:-O and looks like I have to find myself a ultrasonic cleaner I guess your right there's nothing better to clen a carb then this.

nicuwww4

And thanks for the website it's going to be very useful

Apelle

Citazione di: nicuwww4 il 14 Ottobre 2019, 08:50:57
Well first I will do a test to see if there are any leaks at the rubber boots , a guy told me that the best test you can do is with a can of starter fluid just spray around the carb and the boots
That's right, but I would rather use something less aggressive, as the starter sprays are usually meant for industrial and much bigger engines.
Dashboard gloss spray are perfect for this.

The only problem I se with this pair of carbs is on the main carb the small jet is broken and half drilled so that will be a pain in the ass to get out  >:-O
I'm not sure I got which jet you are talking about.
At any rate, you can try applying some heat around, sometimes it works.

DakoBox

i secondi malconci sono sicuramente del Dakota del primo anno, quelli montati non sono in grado di capirlo dallle foto anche se l'anno (86) potrebbe far pensare bene
hanno la vite dello "zero" sulla pompa di ripresa e non hanno la compensazione sul circuito del minimo (il manicotto metallico che unisce fisicamente i carburatori all'altezza del circuito minimo dal lato motore)

ultrasuoni, regolazioni e un po' di ricambi :ok:

«Mi commuovono le minute sapienze che in ogni trapasso d'uomo si perdono.»  Jorge Luis Borges

nicuwww4

Citazione di: Apelle il 14 Ottobre 2019, 09:01:29
Well first I will do a test to see if there are any leaks at the rubber boots , a guy told me that the best test you can do is with a can of starter fluid just spray around the carb and the boots
That's right, but I would rather use something less aggressive, as the starter sprays are usually meant for industrial and much bigger engines.
Dashboard gloss spray are perfect for this.

The only problem I se with this pair of carbs is on the main carb the small jet is broken and half drilled so that will be a pain in the ass to get out  >:-O
I'm not sure I got which jet you are talking about.
At any rate, you can try applying some heat around, sometimes it works.

Ok so here is the progress so far..i opened the parts bike carbs and they look god the only problem is the idle jet in the main carb is half way driled out (NOT BY ME) any idea how to fix this ? i also did the leak test on the rubber boots and they are ok no air leaks around there or anywhere else.
Another problem is that i cant find in my city a ultrasonic cleaner is there any other way to clean good the carbs (acid bath or something) ?

nicuwww4

they look like this on the inside

nicuwww4

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jbmFofXmb4hwKZhu8  i hope this link works its a video with the symptoms of the engine

Apelle

They seem really in bad shape, especially because they don't seem to carry anymore the screwdriver's cut.

You need to take them off, one way or another. But it's not that simple, I agree.
Again, I'd try heating up the area around the jets and then try to force out the jet by twisting it with a screwdriver large enough to get INTO the jet and make enough friction not to slip inside.

The ultrasonic cleaners are easily and chaply sourceable on amazon, ebay, ecc. you can use those for jewelry, just get one with a large enough tank.

Acid bat is ok but it doesn't guarantee the full effect, best if you use both (acid bath and ultrasonic cleaner), amd finally the compressed air to make the final check.

Apelle

Watched the video.

Yes, it seems you have the max circuit jammed.

Or, it's really worth checking it, the fuel tubes are badly bent, preventing the fuel to get into the carbs when required.
It's something that can easily happen during the carbs refitting operations and could be not immediately visible.
I had this problem once.